Clear vision and purposeful passion inspire every dish that Chef Richard Hodge creates at BLVD16. The farm-to-table sensibilities that germinated during his time working as an executive chef in the bay area have come into full bloom down south at BLVD 16. Here, Hodge uniquely mixes his commitment to environmental sustainability with boundless energy and a wealth of culinary knowledge. With his personal hospitality and heart behind every dish, he makes BLVD16 a rare gem and memorable LA experience.
- Q: Who is your culinary mentor?
- A: I have 2, #1 My mom, she was never afraid to try what I would cook growing up. I could make a big mess and as long as I cleaned it up and did not burn down the house it was okay. #2 Chef Roland Passot. He is the chef at La Folie in SF and I spent 7 great years working with him. He really taught me everything I know about French cuisine. How to shop at the farmers market and how to build relationships with the farmers and growers.
- Q: What do you consider your best culinary creation?
- A: Duck Bolognese. I was experimenting with ground duck and came up with this recipe. I put in on the menu during the winter months and when I took it off in the summer I had customers asking for it. It then held a place on the menu year round.
- Q: What inspires you?
- A: Fresh ingredients, other chefs, the weather. I really try to gear my food around the weather. If it's cold outside then you will see me doing a braised dish or a hearty soup, when its warm I really like to pair salads and lighter vinaigrettes, coulis with meats and fish.
- Q: What are your favorite classics to cook?
- A: French onion soup since building the levels of flavors takes certain skill and patience to get the amount of color that you need for the sweetness but without burning the onions. A hearty beef stew, heirloom tomato gazpacho.
- Q: What is your favorite kitchen tool?
- A: I have 2, #1 My kitchen aid counter top mixer #2 sous vide machine. It's just fun to play with and it can work miracles.
- Q: Who would you love to have eat at BLVD 16?
- A: The President of the United States. I was working in SF and his motorcade drove by my restaurant and I remember saying to myself how cool it would be if he were to walk in.
More from Chef Hodge
Grilled Ribeye Steak with Parsley Salsa Verde
BLVD 16 | 10740 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024 | Phone: (310) 474-7765 | www.blvd16.com